Johannesburg Attractions, Excursions & Guided Tours (Specials & Prices)
Tourist Attractions in Johannesburg
Planning a trip to Johannesburg, or more commonly known as ‘Jozi’, may feel a little overwhelming for a first-timer. Other than being the biggest city in South Africa, it also has a bad reputation for being the most dangerous.
If you’re travelling around Joburg, you certainly need to be alert. Having said that; when it comes down to Johannesburg tourist attractions, it has so much to offer – a rich history, dynamic culture and vibrant atmosphere. It hosts a number of the most renowned historical places in South Africa and has a magical buzz that will leave you wanting to come back for more.
Places to To visit in Johannesburg
Jozi offers a variety of suburbs, landmarks and surrounding areas that are worth seeing – each unique in their own way. The inner city, usually avoided by tourists, is transforming into an oasis of trends and creativity. It is also home to the Market Theatre, vibey Braamfontein, as well as the artsy Maboneng.
Visitors are mostly drawn to the leafy suburbs in the north of Joburg. Areas like Norwood and Parktown are buzzing with trendy restaurants and bars. The chic streets of Greenside also offer a buzzing nightlife.
For the more alternative crowds, edgy Melville is an all time favourite. And don’t forget all the fancy malls of Sandton for splashing out on some fashionable items.
Joburg knows how to show it’s visitors that the big city life is the way to go!
Things to Do in Johannesburg
Now that you know what places visit, the next logical step would be to plan how you are going to experience the true essence of Jozi. Below is a short breakdown of some of the most exciting things to do in Johannesburg:
- For history-lovers, The Apartheids Museum is a must-see as it illustrates the rise and fall of South Africa’s prejudiced system that led to racial segregation.
- In the mood for some Johannesburg sightseeing? Then hop on the open air Red Bus, a Johannesburg tour bus that explore sites like Carlton Centre, James Hall Museum and the famous Nelson Mandela Bridge.
- Get your blood pumping on a rollercoaster ride at Gold Reef City. For a more cultural experience, grab a bike and take a guided tour through Soweto.
- There are a number of lush green parks and nature reserves to go for the outdoorsy travelers, such as the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden and Emmarentia Dam.
- The Magaliesberg is just an hour drive from Joburg for those needing to breakaway from the city. One of the oldest mountain ranges on earth, it is a perfect destination for weekend getaways, hikes and camping trips.
- The Kruger National Park is a must see for nature lovers! Known as the home of Big 5, here you can experience African wildlife at its best. From guided safaris, variety of accomodation to adventurous activities in surrounding areas, this will truly be a trip of a lifetime!
Have a look at our list below, and explore the City of Gold like never before!
Showing all 9 results
- Professional gear and guide
- Great family fun
- No meals or drinks provided
- Fully guide and in-depth tour
- Small group size
- Game reserve safari
- Sometimes unavailable for extended periods of time
- May have minimum age
- May have limitations on group size
- Accommodation included
- 3 days of safari
- Big 5 sightings
- Minimum age may apply
- Long, detailed journey
- Experienced guide ensures you do not miss anything
- Fees not included
- Extra drinks not provided
- Surf and safari in one
- 3 hour game drive
- Explore Sun City and the Valley of Waves
- Lunch not included
- Be prepared for a full day of activities
- So much to do, so little time!
- A luxury hotel that allows your tiny pets to join
- Only pets that fit the hotel’s restrictions allowed
- Up-close viewings of the Big 5
- Very knowledgeable guide
- No meals included
- Game sightings not guaranteed
- Tour of the park and the Small Drakensberg mountain range
- All inclusive
- Very popular, requires booking far in advance